[Openstreetmap] Re: OSM Peformance is terrible

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Feb 7 00:08:56 GMT 2006

* @ 06/02/06 10:51:42 PM Jens.Kammann at dlr.de wrote:
> I am in the administration team of a PC cluster used for (mainly
> scientific) simulations at the DLR (German Aerospcae Center). We have
> some 50 PCs (using Debian Linux) sitting most of the time idle connected
> via 155 MBit/s to the DFN/Internet. So if OSM can be partioned in some
> ways (e.g. by splitting the map serving from the map editing), I would
> be glad to help out. We also have some spare SUN netra T1s (also with
> Debian Linux) which could serve as caches (both for tiles and map data).

We need stable dedicated hosting, so for example if OSM went away
because your cluster had to run a CFD on the latest jet engine you're
designing then everyone would be upset like they are now.

Hosting is very welcome, thank you for the offer. If it's dedicated and
we can get a service agreement together then we can move forward. I've
had off-list hosting offers I'm talking to people about but it doesn't
happen in 4 or 5 days.

> It would be pitty if motivated map contributors get scared away just
> because of discontenting server performance!

It *is* a pity, and I'm trying to make it not happen because all this is
stopping me working on features.

have fun,