[Openstreetmap] update

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Feb 9 18:45:22 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 06:37:51PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> >> I'm concerned that nobody was much bothered about ideas of moving to
> >> cc-non-commercial or putting google ads on the site. A-la Tom's comment
> >> of becoming the delicious or flickr of maps, not the wikipedia of maps.
> >> Is that the case?
>
> >We can have a poll concerning this issue...
>
> The wikipedia of maps would suggest an editable map to which everyone could
> contribute. That was my understanding of OSM... just out of interest what
> is the alternative?

Wikipedia allows reproduction of their dataset for commerical gain.
Licensing data under a CC-NC license would prevent that. It would also
prevent any use I personally have for the project: I have Google Maps
running on all my mapping applications (via Ning), and the main thing
that I really want OSM to become is a free/open Worldwide Geocoder.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer