[Openstreetmap] Re: update

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Feb 10 19:19:52 GMT 2006

[Andy Robinson]
> Spin-off Products: I think this is probably the best way to raise
> funds, especially in the short term, however if OSM simply does what
> others can do with free OSM data then why would they necessarily buy
> from OSM, especially if an unconnected commercial venture has the
> capital available to develop a better output product than OSM
> can. Would we not want to protect this potential revenue stream in
> some way?

Do not underestimate the people buying spin-off products from OSM.
The whole point is to make it known that bying from OSM supports OSM,
and I am sure a lot of people would want to support OSM in this way.
I'm not very worried about independent products, because the people
buying spin-off products will want to buy to support OSM.

> Free and paid for services: If you mean ultimately a Google-ish like
> model of a basic free map and with premium services then would OSM
> be any different than Google say in what it actually offers.

I do not mean something google-ish.  I mean that we could provide the
OSM data in for free one format, and offer paid services to help those
in need to use these data.  For example provide the raw data in XML
format, and sell shape files or something. :)