[Openstreetmap] The bigger picture

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Feb 14 15:01:27 GMT 2006

Hi Tom,

>> I am very confident, that if the current OSM server would only allow
>> some commercial access, an other server mirror with free access would be
>> set up in no time ;-)
>
> But what if the commercial access I'm talking about is to *services*
> and *features* independent of the data?  Like a proprietary piece of
> code which produces nicely formatted maps, for example?  The data can
> go elsewhere, you're right, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I would call the nice maps that such a software creates out of the data a
"derrived work" for sure, right? So no problem here, as long as the maps
are under CC-SA too. OSM can try to sell them.

If you plan to release the source code of the generator, don't be
surprised when other people (like me) show up and provide the very same
service for free. I don't see a very good commercial potential here... :-/

In fact, currently I think the only "cool" way to get to money are
donations. The acceptance of this could be greatly improved, if there
would be more transparence. How much money is needed, why is it needed,
where the money will be spent, how this will improve the server and how
much improvement is to be excpected. I know, I know, this is a boring
job.. so probably not done anyway.. ;)

If donations don't get enought money, we need to change the software so it
use not that much resources until donations are enough. ;-)

Ciao, Imi.