[OSM-talk] street categories

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 10:37:23 GMT 2006

>now that i've uploaded and edited most of my archived tracks,
>i'm starting to add labels.

>to get things consistent:
>how do you select the street classifications primary/secondary?
>by street conditions (width/paving) or by importance
>(like primary -> road that connects to the next city,
>secondary -> only in town traffic)

I use keys/values to do this. The scheme I use (and which Freemap and
osmeditor understand) is to use the "class", "foot", "bike", "car" and
"horse" keys:

"class" relates to the class (importance) of the road, it may be:

path
unsurfaced
residential
minor
secondary
primary
motorway
railway

foot, bike, horse and car relate to access: can that type of traffic access
the road/path?

"foot", "bike" and "horse" can be either "yes", "unofficial" or "no".
"car" can be either "yes" or "no".

The default for all of these is "no", i.e. you can define a footpath with
'class=path; foot=yes' without having to specify bike, horse or car.

Nick