[OSM-talk] A glossary for terms

Colin Mackay colin.mackay at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:07:30 GMT 2006

Hi All,

As I take my first steps with this project it occurs to me that in my few
years away from GIS I'd forgotton just how much a lack of consensus there
was between different groups on the definition of terms. What this means is
that with some terminology I am confused about the exact meaning.

Take "label" for example http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Labels

When I was writing GIS software I *think* I might have called these
"attributes". What I would have called a "label" would have been the textual
annotations that appear on the map itself. These days I would say they were
columns on a table (and that definition seems to be fairly consistent across
a number of database vendors - some of the cheap and cheerful kind might say
it is a "field").

Anyway, that all said, it would be great to have a glossary of terms on the
wiki so the newbies to the project, such as myself, can use it to understand
more fully what is going on.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Colin Mackay.