[Openstreetmap] Re: Server Performance

Raphaël Jacquot sxpert at esitcom.org
Wed Jan 4 15:29:41 GMT 2006

Christian van den Bosch wrote:

> Currently, tiles are 256x128px, and the viewing pane is 700x500px (to
> fit on an 800x600 screen?), which works out to 2.73x3.90 tiles; we
> always fetch 4x5 tiles (=1024x640px), though sometimes (around 33% of
> the time) this means we unnecessarily fetch a row or column or both. If
> we changed the pane to 768x512px (3x4 tiles), we would gain around 12%

800x600 is obsolete.
the pane size should be 768*512

> Supertiles:
>
> Would it be feasible for the server to combine requests for contiguous
> tiles into a super-tile operation (perhaps on receiving an "I'm about to
> ask for these 20 tiles" notification from the client), then splitting
> that into the requested tiles and putting these into the cache ready for
> the "proper" request?

that would make the javascript more complicated.
perhaps, asking for the tiles in a spiralling fashion as google maps do
it may be simpler

> This would significantly reduce (by a factor of 20, assuming no caching)
> the number of node/segment select operations to generate a given group
> of tiles, while the total number of rows returned would reduce slightly,
> because any segments that cross a tile boundary will be returned once
> instead of twice - as an added bonus, reducing (but not eliminating) the
> artifacts we currently see where segments are shown in tiles containing
> their end nodes, but go AWOL in intermediate tiles.

true, but it would reduce the effectiveness of the browser's caching
mecanism

> Eliminating false negatives efficiently:
>
> Taking this approach a little further, a little geometry lets us
> conclude that if both ends of a segment fall beyond the same edge of a
> tile, the tile and segment won't intersect; we could use this, but it
> means our select making twice as many comparisons as it currently does,
> something like (forgive my pseudo-SQL): SELECT segments WHERE NOT (
> (segment.node1.x < tile.minx AND segment.node2.x < tile.minx) OR
> (segment.node1.x > tile.maxx AND segment.node2.x > tile.maxx) OR
> (segment.node1.y < tile.miny AND segment.node2.x < tile.miny) OR
> (segment.node1.y > tile.maxy AND segment.node2.x > tile.maxy) ).

better yet, select all lines, and do the calculations in the script
prior to drawing the lines
of course, the better solution would be to contribute geometry culling
to cairo