[Openstreetmap] Re: Wiki down?

Gabriel Ebner ge at gabrielebner.at
Fri Jan 6 21:52:53 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 08:15:27PM +0100, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> My guess is that OSM currently never sees more than 10
> simultaneous map editors.  In fact I believe that I'm often alone
> with the server when I'm editing maps, and it's still slow. To get
> useful maps, we need a lot of map data, and that will require many
> times more contributors than we have now.  I would say the
> successful project needs a system that can handle a few thousand
> simultaneous editors.  Think Wikipedia scale.

I doubt you're the only one who is currently editing maps.  E.g. I have been
trying to upload some 13,000 nodes+segments for the last few days (with some
pauses, after connections timed out and while editing the maps offline).
Considering that there are still around 11,103 left. which makes about 7 days
at 55 sec/PUT, so you surely won't be alone for yet another week at least
if recent access times will last.

BTW, as far as I understand the API, one can only put 1 segment or node per
PUT; would it make any sense to allow multiple nodes or segments to be
transferred at a time?

> If OSM currently experiences an increase from 10 to 20 users, and
> if this would require the slicing over 2 servers, then the
> increase from 1000 to 2000 users would require 200 servers, which
> simply is unrealistic.  Who would pay for that?  Not me!

It would be interesting to see where the load comes from.  I can't imagine
that 10 users accessing a database via HTTP would result in so much load.  Is
it the viewer?  Landsat tiles? (they are relatively fast, taking just a few
secs)

  Gabriel.

P.S.: After having read the sources, it seems to be possible to insert either
multiple nodes or multiple segments by just having multiple children inside
the <osm/>, resulting in all their assigned IDs being returned in order.  Is
this official?  If so, should it be documented in the wiki?