[Openstreetmap] UK Motorways 100% Complete

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Sat Jan 7 14:22:16 GMT 2006

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Most (except the M271 outside Southampton) do not show up as a thick black
> line in Freemap so I'm guessing not, unless another key/value system has
> been used....
>
> For them to show up on Freemap they would need to be annotated as:
>
> class=motorway; car=yes

Which is wonderful in theory, except for the fact that most people
editing openstreetmap probably still use the applet, which doesn't know
how to set, or make sensible use of, any tags other than "name".

Is there a reason you chose thick black to represent a motorway? Almost
every (european) map I've seen uses a thick mid-blue with a black
outline to represent a motorway carriageway. This colour corresponds
with the standard colour of motorway signs, which in HTML speak is
COLOR="#007BC6".

(Though Australia, USA and a few others use green for their motorway signs)

--
Simon Hewison