[Openstreetmap] UK Motorways 100% Complete

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Sat Jan 7 14:44:14 GMT 2006

This one time, at band camp, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> According to Wikipedia, the U.K. (including Northern Ireland, I
> suppose) has 3610 km of motorways.  I was surprised to find that
> it wasn't more.  Spain has 9910 km, France has 10220 km, and the
> tiny Netherlands has 2520 km.

The tabloids howl bloody murder in the UK whenever anyone suggests cost
recovery for motorists (or, for that matter, enforcement of the law).
That means the motorways are all free (excepting one newly-opened
stretch near Birmingham).  The tabloids seem to prefer that the road
freight industry (who also don't pay VAT) be subsidised by the ordinary
taxpayer.

I suspect the lack of an income stream has something to do with the lack
of motorways, though I would say that the network is pretty good and
mostly free-flowing outside the cities.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Geeks need vacations too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all
 other countries because you were born in it."
 - George Bernard Shaw