[Openstreetmap] major db refactoring and GPS data

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Jan 17 20:41:02 GMT 2006

* @ 17/01/06 05:10:06 PM lists at riscott.ukfsn.org wrote:
> > As well as for a move to postgres at
> > some point.
>
> Hm. I had always assumed you were using postgis
> ( http://postgis.refractions.net/ ).

No, I found the GIS extensions slow and not really required. For example
storing a lat/lon pair in a POINT or just two double columns... the
columns were quicker.

But it's a ticket to do more benchmarking / investigation if anyone can
be bothered.

The reason for leaving mysql for postgres are the full text indexes
which I'm told are better. Overall, the queries are slightly slower
compared to MySQL.

Anyway...

have fun,