[Openstreetmap] key values to represent restricted turns

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 09:19:31 GMT 2006

There are going to be a ton of examples where the actual street layout is
complicated resulting is complications for navigational use. So I was
looking at my navigation software in closer detail at the weekend and found
it less than ideal at dealing with complicated junctions and as a result
sometimes gives out erroneous navigation messages.

For example, there are many locations here in the UK where a bus lane gets
priority on the approach into a roundabout, this is mapped as a separate
lane (on the left here in the UK) as it is properly divided. However the
software does not realise it has a restriction and gives the instruction to
"keep left" as this represents the shortest (or perhaps even quickest) route
when in fact you should keep right.

>From what I can see, all of the navigational mapping products use maps which
are based upon real conditions on the ground. It's just that perhaps not all
of the restrictions etc are properly picked up when the mapping is made or
they are not sufficiently up to date. It's quite daunting to think that
Teleatlas have as many as 160 attributes they can tag an entry with.

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk