[Openstreetmap] Editor question

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Jan 25 09:17:52 GMT 2006

Hi,

> does one of the editors (josm/osmeditor2/osmpedit) support converting
> gps tracks directly to osm nodes/lines?

ME! ME! ME! JOSM support this. ;-)

At least, if your data is in GPX. Use gpsbabel to convert it if necessary.

> i have some tracks of currenty unmapped segments
> (example A5 Frankfurt to Basel plus some Autobahn in Switzerland
> with about 4700 trackpoints)
> I think it's easier to use that as a template and to refine the
> line later than to add each node from the trackpoints again

I habe been told several times now, that some user prefere to start with
the GPS-logs as node data and then start to strip out nodes until they
fits.

I think I will support this way of mapping with more tool coverage in one
of my next bigger releases. (e.g. Auto-deletion of unnecessary nodes
within a straight line, remove of nodes very close to each other etc...)

Currently you can open any GPX file and choose whether you want to import
it as raw gps trackpoints or as real Node data.

However, the quality of the result strongly depends on the format of your
input. If you have one big track covering a large journey, this would be
best.
If you have some kind of the old OSM-export format, where every single
segment is contained in its own track, you will get exactly this: Numerous
tracks (which cannot be upload at present) you have to clean up with.

(Remember pressing Ctrl for faster cleaning out. See the
http://wiki.eigenheimstrasse.de/wiki/JOSM/User_Manual why ;)

Ciao, Imi.