[Openstreetmap] Editor question

Wed Jan 25 09:41:35 GMT 2006

On 25 Jan 2006, at 09:29, Tom Carden wrote:

> We should definitely be meeting this half way, by drawing lines
> between GPS tracks, and providing tools to convert those lines into
> streets if they *look* right.  But GPS is raw data in OSM, and I think
> it should stay that way.

In my experience, there's a vast difference between city streets and
country roads.

City streets are (generalising wildly here) mapped in conditions of
poor GPS reception and are junction-heavy. Consequently, so much
editing is required that converting GPS tracks directly into mapped
streets is usually more hassle than it's worth. You're better off
tracing over the top of them, informed by your own knowledge of where
the streets really go.

Country roads are mapped in conditions of perfect GPS reception and are
junction-light (per mile travelled). Being able to pick up a 100-mile
track of a motorway drive, and turn it into a mapped road, is a real
time-saver. This is _especially_ true of B-roads, canals etc., which
are also bend-heavy...

Richard