[OSM-talk] Stupid Josm question

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Sat Jul 1 23:54:58 BST 2006

Hi,

> For sure (also in areas with few data).  I always open up a second josm
> window and download the existing data along the track to figure out what
> parts I have to kill.

You can also use only one JOSM instance. There is nothing wrong with
downloading data on top of the just converted gps layer. (This means: You
will not loose any data).

Ciao, Imi

PS: If you are unsure whether you may have accidently selected an already
existing object and want to only have objects from your just converted
layer selected (e.g. before you delete them), open the selection dialog,
click on search and enter "-id:0" and "remove from selection". This will
remove all old objects from your current selection ;-)

PPS: Another trick is to download the current existing data for the area
to edit. Then choose "export to gpx" (or just save with .gpx ending). Then
restart JOSM and load the GPX. Now you can load your original gpx which
you now convert to a data layer. Finally switch "connect lines between
trackpoints" on in the preferences. What you get is, that you have the
existing area as a nice and gray background layer below your
current-to-be-edited data layer. Since you cannot select gps points, you
are sure not to accidently delete the old data.