[OSM-talk] OpenLayers May Dump in Ka-Map/OpenLayers

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon Jul 3 10:30:07 BST 2006

* @ 03/07/06 09:23:56 AM tom at tom-carden.co.uk wrote:
> On 03/07/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> >
> >After putting in an afternoon of work on it, I changed my mind. Editing
> >is now available on *segments only*. Additionally, I've processed the
> >linear ways out of the planet.osm file from May, and those are now
> >displayed (as a seperate layer, also queryable) on the map.
> >

> How are you handling authentication?  Or will all these edits now be
> logged as being made by you?  (You might not think this matters
> because user ids aren't exposed right now, but consider how we might
> best deal with vandalism in the future for instance).

More importantly, when OSM becomes the recipient of legal action one of
our first lines of defense it to remove all the data entered by the
infringing individual. So not entering everything under one user is a
good idea.

> >Try doing that with the applet, and I bet you'll find it takes a lot
> >longer, and a lot more experience to get there.
> >
> >This can't be the *only* editing interface for OSM obviously -- there's
> >no drawing, for one, and that's a biggy.  But right now there are
> >hundreds of thousands of untagged segments. Getting more than a few
> >elite users to edit this data would be a useful step forward, I think.
> >

> Yes, no need to trash the applet to justify this, it's definitely
> interesting - it's similar to things Jo was trying last year and that
> Nick has tried out with his walking maps... does somebody want to work
> along these lines for openstreetmap.org where issues like
> authentication are a lot easier to deal with?

Yes, working on the OSM code, integrating OL etc would be much cooler.

have fun,