[OSM-talk] Freemap update

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Jul 3 23:40:17 BST 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:34:11PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> * @ 03/07/06 06:52:22 PM nick at hogweed.org wrote:
> > >
> > > Is anyone up for integrating this stuff in to OSM? Nick, wern't you
> > > playing with OL?
> >
> > Yes - see http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/openlayers. The only issue at the
> > moment is that OpenLayers seems to deal only with WGS84 projected maps - not
> > Mercator projected maps. But I guess the OL people can fix this.
>
> Yeah, crschmidt said this was possible?

Displaying Mercator projected maps, and projecting maps into mercator,
are two different things.

Projecting maps into mercator:
Someone else could probably write code to do it -- it wasn't
possible with tile.js until someone hacked it -- but it's not possible
now, and I have no interest in doing this myself.

Displaying mercator projected maps:
This is what OpenLayers can do, and I'll have a demo of the OSM data
with this within the next week or so.

The former is the way that OSM currently works. The latter is the way
that everything else in the world works.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer