[OSM-talk] Editing works, old data gone

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Jul 4 10:14:32 BST 2006

* @ 04/07/06 09:43:04 AM lars at aronsson.se wrote:
> Right now I can edit maps using the edit applet.  The yellow
> tracklog markers are there, and the new line segments are saved.
> But no existing line segments are shown.  Surely this is just a
> temporary glitch because of the new DB code that Steve's working
> on.  But it could lead newcomers to believe nobody has mapped
> London, and so they start to add nodes and line segments.  And I
> don't want to think about the mess this could create when the old
> data returns.  IMO we should have a warning sign up, or disable
> editing all together.  The server is fast too, it's a real joy to
> use the edit applet today.

I've fixed the bug, so when you delete a node it no longer deletes all
nodes. :-|

Nothing was lost as everything still goes in the history table and can
be re-extracted from there. The site is live again. I did all the
testing on the dev server where the db instance is much smaller, on the
live db it can take a long time to perform a schema change due to the
ton of data.

Things look faster but the ways query still slows things down. I'll get
to that and the segments ASAP, and I'll ping in advance that there will
be downtime.

have fun,