[OSM-talk] Freemap in Mercator

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Jul 4 13:52:50 BST 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 09:50:36AM +0100, Steve Chilton wrote:
> Looking good.
> What determines the bounding box of the display?
> It seems counter-intuitive to have a long thin portrait working area and
> a load of white space between the map area and the
> key/legend/explanation. Most display devices are in landscape mode.

I betcha you're working in IE. Ah, and as I continue reading, you are!
:)

This is a CSS problem with IE -- it's not a permanant problem, as I will
be redeveloping the interface to be similar to the existing OSM homepage
in the near future.

If you want to help out, you can take a look at the CSS -- the 'width:
60%' is being interpreted by IE as being "60% of the width of the
remaining space", rather than of the whole window, like it should be.

Otherwise, I'll get to it later this week :)

> Would it be possible to consider display being landscape by default?
> NB: I also get a runtine error each time I re-scale: line 44 Error:
> object doesn't support this proprty or method.

re-scale being resizin the window? I'll give it a play in IE on the
work laptop when I get a chance -- I haven't done anything in IE with it
yet.

> OK - a bit of further looking shows that Firefox and Netscape don't have
> the two "problems" identified above, it is just an issue in IE (ver
> 6.0.28).

Yep. IE is always the problem :)

--
Christopher Schmidt