[OSM-talk] Good deal on Garmin GPS unit

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Thu Jul 6 12:03:01 BST 2006

Dan Karran a écrit :

> If I try a command like the following, which device should I be
> telling it to use?
> gpsbabel -i garmin -f /dev/cu.usbserial0 -o gpx -F waypoint.gpx
> there's nothing that looks to me like a USB device in /dev/
>
> Sorry if it's a silly question...

When I plug my Forerunner 305 on my computer (Ubuntu/i86), a kernel
module garmin-gps is loaded and a serial device appear (/dev/ttyusb0
from memory)

But I didn't manage to use gpsbabel with this device.

The solution (for me) is to remove the kernel module ("rmmod
garmin_gps", or configure your box to prevent it for loading
automatically), and then use the gpsbabel own usb handling :
gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F waypoint.gpx

I found this on gpsbabel mailing list.

--
Thomas Walraet