[OSM-talk] problems - Wiki file upload

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Fri Jul 7 14:16:51 BST 2006

On Friday 07 July 2006 14:41, Barnett, Phillip wrote:
> That may have been me - I've been editing a large GPX in JOSM and tried
> to upload it to OSM, which seemed to take forever (2-3 hours) at about
> one node per second. Was I doing something wrong?

1-st:
The speed should be about 4-5 nodes per second. You might be able to speed
things up if you are talking with http/1.1 persistent connection to the the
OSM Server. I personally do it with a squid-proxy inbetween. If you use the
proxy option for java and josm it can talk persistent. This saves a complete
tcp handshake per node.
just start josm siomilar to this:
java -Xmx500m -Dhttp.proxyHost=gw-squid -Dhttp.proxyPort=8888 \
	-jar  josm-latest.jar "$@"

Normally (as what i found here, no guarantee) you can stop an already running
upload in josm. Then save the FIle. Stop josm. Restart josm and then continue
the upload.

2-nd:
I personally try to reduce the ammount of points in the resulting upload.
since you normally don't need all points on a streight street. But you
probably already did that. That's one of the reasons i started to write
osm-filter.

-

Joerg

--