[OSM-talk] The long tail - lowest common denominator

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Jul 7 23:05:47 BST 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 03:16:32PM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 09:27:43AM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> >> Your list principally covers the use of data contributed to, held in and
> >> distributed by OSM. One other point that came up on #OSM IRC yesterday
> >was
> >> the need to ensure that OSM can utilise and respect the licence of other
> >> available data that would enhance OSM. The TIGER import type data out
> >there.
> >> Chris Schmidt was interested in the MassGIS data which has its own
> >licence.
> >
> >Alternatively, OSM needs to take a position where this data is not
> >suitable for upload directly to OSM, and should be stored in a seperate
> >repository, possibly also overseen by the OSMF (or possibly by OSGeo, or
> >some other similar organization). It's a consideration to make, not a
> >requirement.
>

> Well I'm sure there is a market for easy access to extra data. E.g.
> things like shoreline inclusion on maps done by openstreetmap, like
> IoW[1]. Or perhaps just vector (vmap0?) backdrops for the streets, I
> for one would much prefer a vector backdrop over landsat.
>

> [1] IMO the difference between these pictures is remarkable:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:IsleOfWight20060519.png
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Iow_2006-06-06.png

VMap0 rendering now available as a seperate layer. To see a demo of the
area in question:

http://london.freemap.in/osm.html?lat=6534458.46875&lon=-148011.5625&zoom=8

Turn off the satellite layer, and turn on the 'Raster' layer. (A better
name, anyone? "VMap0" seemed overly verbose...)

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer