[OSM-talk] Freemap in Mercator

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sat Jul 8 10:17:41 BST 2006

> Yep. http://london.freemap.in/osm2gml_simple.py.txt does this conversion
> to GML, from which I use ogr2ogr july.planet.shp july.planet.gml , to
> get shapefiles, which are what the data is rendered against. (This is
> linked from the Wikipage at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Converting_OSM_to_GML ).

Moving onto the context of my own free-map.org.uk renderer of the OSM data:
Can mapserver still help to reduce the complexity of the rendering code if you
wanted to avoid the gml/shapefile stage? Maybe it's slightly irrational but I
find it somewhat more elegant to be able to render the database data direct.
However, if mapserver can ease the complexity of scripting required to do the
rendering, and it isn't too hard to setup, I would consider it in my own
project.

Nick