[OSM-talk] South Downs Way

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Jul 9 21:09:06 BST 2006

Ben Robbins wrote:

> Lars: "Uh, get one.  Your about to get some new equipment anyway" Uh,
> with what money?...I'm about to get what new equipment anyway?  I can
> alread edit maps, send e-mail, everything on a PC.. If i happen to find a
> few hunder quid lieing around, I'll be shore to follow your advice.

I understood your question as if you were going to buy some new
GPS receiver that stores more trackpoints or a PDA or datalogger
to which you could download more data.  That seems like an
investment of a few hundred UK pounds, and in my mind the best way
to spend that amount would be to get some kind of (cheap) laptop.
You're not likely to find any very cheap solution.  With a laptop,
you can send e-mail and edit maps whereever you stop nearby
somebody who accidentally left their Wi-Fi network open.  A quick
look among the local ads shows a used Acer laptop with AMD 1600
CPU, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB disk for 3300 SEK = 250 UKP.

I don't know how you are travelling, but when I travel by car I
spend far more on petrol than on my electronic equipment. But both
equipment and petrol are dirt cheap if I put any value on the
hours I spend on OSM (my car consumes petrol for less than 10 UKP
per hour, and I would not sell my time that cheap). If I had to
look around for an open Internet cafe each time my GPS unit's
memory fills up, I'd waste a lot more time and petrol.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)