[OSM-talk] South Downs Way

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Jul 9 21:50:33 BST 2006

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk wrote:

> I have the problem that the GPS12 only stores 1024 track points,
> and I've realised that "auto" just isn't good enough for the

Some early (2002-2003) reviews of Garmin's "auto" function were
very pessimistic.  On my newer Garmin Foretrex 201 unit, I've
never had the problems mentioned there.  So I guess Garmin has
improved their software over time.  You might want to check with
www.garmin.com if you can update your unit's firmware.

One thing you should never do is to "save" the track on the unit.
This removes all timestamps and also seems to reduce the number of
samples.  Always use the "current track" and never touch "save" if
that word appears in the unit's menues.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)