[OSM-talk] Quality of Sirf star 3 tracks disappointing...

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 21:42:34 BST 2006

On 7/10/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> Emil Vaughan wrote:
>
> > I've just started recording tracks with a Sirf Star 3 GPS sending data
> > to my N80 phone, and recording it with GEtrack (python isn't available
> > yet for my phone) - and I'm a bit annoyed to find my tracks are all
> > over the place, and only rarely seem to coincide with the roads
> > already in osmeditor...  So do I need to get a proper GPS unit......?
> > I haven't made my tracks public as they are so bad!
>
> Do your tracklogs document the number of satellites received or
> the HDOP/VDOP estimates of accuracy?

This would be interesting to see.  Some NMEA strings contain DOP
values that are calculated by the receiver.  I reckon in London the
DOP values would be pretty good - its the multipath that gets you.

> With time and experience, I've come to use the satellite view
> (showing signal strengths) on my Garmin while I'm moving around.
> It's no point in running around if no signal is received.

Very true - its definitely worth just standing still and waiting to
get a lock before moving on.

Nick