[OSM-talk] relating trace points to gpx files

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 08:58:58 BST 2006

Yes, when you download track points through the API into JOSM they arrive as
points with no timestamp info and are therefore all placed in one layer.
When sent from the server it is possible that they are delivered in
sequential order as they reside on the database and hence some degree of
logic when displaying with "draw lines between raw trackpoints" turned on.
But if there are a lot of points in the area you get an unholy mess of
lines. This JOSM feature is only really usable for displaying your own
separate layered timestamped gpx files and not the point data pulled from
the server.

Having said that, the "draw lines between raw trackpoints" is a great way of
establishing the basic wire frame of your track if you have widely dispersed
points (ie long logging interval). It's less helpful I find for close
logging at 1 sec per point from walks or bike trips.

Cheers,

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk