[OSM-talk] Free the postcode maps

Joerg Ostertag (Muenchen) joerg at ostertag.name
Wed Jul 5 09:02:46 BST 2006

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 09:58, Ben Gimpert wrote:
> On Tue,  4 Jul 06 @06:39pm, Joerg Ostertag wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, if anyone has regular dealings with a cab firm or a courier in
> > > their town, it would be ideal to lend them a GPS for a while and grab
> > > the logs. Also, if they don't use GPS already then it sounds like a
> > > business opportunity to me!
> >
> > The "for a while" is my problem.
> > Do you know any possibility to EASILY log GPS Data for more than one Day?
>
> Zaurus Linux PDA + Compact Flash GPS + "Cigarette Lighter" (12V) Power
> Adapater, then tuck the bundle under cab's driver seat and ask him or
> her to forget about it for a month...?

How do you start logging without any "Driver interaction". SInce the Zaurus
probably wouldn't keep batteries over night if it doesn't get 12V supplied.
What I'm thinking of was a box with a cigarett-lighter plug and a USB-plug for
the GPS-USB Mouse which starts logging (to some Memory >500MB) as soon as 12V
are available and stops logging if no power is available. That was the reason
I started the NSLU2 project. But I i find a solution/combination which does
similar and doesn't cost hell. I'll imideately try to get one.

-
Joerg