[OSM-talk] About my stubbornness

Wollschaf mith at uni.de
Mon Jul 24 11:06:41 BST 2006

>> So if you take the data available how do you remove copyrighted
>> information from it if you realize that one user have added it?

If such a thing occurs (what a sad world), surely the node and segment ids
are known.

It is easy to remove special nodes and segments on request, as anybody who
finds copyrighted information will have to publish the ids sooner or
later.

It is perhaps even better not to know who put it in there to preserve the
other work. Mistakes happen, who knows if somebody claims copyright on a
way / segment that was added perfectly legal (i.e using a normal
tracklog)? Will the judge have enough knowledge to understand what all
that computer technology is about? (Some don't, that's for sure).

> I wouldn't say that planet.osm based projects are "forks" as they don't
> encourage people to put surveyed data into some place other than OSM,
> but...

There's always the possibility to take planet.osm and start a project
where adding data is an option. It is work to get the (a new) framework up
and running, and is not necessary at the moment as OSM is up and running.
Hopefully it never will be necessary, but who knows what might happen in
the future?

If we had an additional planet.gpx, what essential information would be
missing? Editing information (who did what) and history are not really
important in my opinion for that special case.

For a project that huge, the possibility to preserve all the work put in
it (and by that I mean mainly the maps and metadata) should be possible at
any time. It's always preferrable to have a distributed backup system
around. I'd love to put planet.osm and planet.gpx on DVD-RAM and store it
in my DVD-RAMshelf =)

I just don't see why a (complete?) database dump is needed for that.

Wollschaf