[OSM-talk] Standard place for planet.osm

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 18:33:59 BST 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 12:53, Joerg Ostertag wrote:
> I wanted to know wher we will put the files on your local PC after
> downloading and converting. So these files don't show up on your harddisk
> 10 time and eat up all Space available.

Howabout just making it a policy for applications to be flexible where they
store their OSM data?

(a) make it clear to the user where their copy of OSM data is, so the user can
copy/paste that to another app

(b) make it easy to use existing data in any location, rather than assuming
that the application needs to maintain its own copy

(c) make it easy to search in a list of "standard places" for existing data
(perhaps we should maintain a textfile of common filenames on SVN)

Otherwise we'll end up with a "/usr/share/osm" suggestion that doesn't work
when someone has to install the data in c:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\osmeditor4\