[OSM-talk] Accountability

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 19:06:10 BST 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 12:55, Emil wrote:
> Now, OSM accepts _voluntary_ contributions from people. If you are at
> all interested in keeping your movements secret, why on earth are you
> recording them with a GPS and uploading them to an open project??

So how are we going to convince new people to join the project, if they know
we're storing their movements in a form that can be traced back to them, and
publishing it without any attempt at anonymising the data?

One of our FAQs is "but won't people be able to see where I live, what school
my kids go to and the route they take, what time I walk down a certain
alleyway, what speed I drive down the motorway...?"

In future, I can see myself recommending to such people that they don't upload
tracklogs at all, but just use their local copy to create roads in JOSM and
upload the road segments.  If that happens, it will be harder to detect fake
roads, as there won't be any yellow dots in the area.