[OSM-talk] Series 60 phone recommendations?

Nick Burch openstreetmap at gagravarr.org
Mon Jul 24 20:44:03 BST 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Laurence Penney wrote:
> I understand that due to security concerns by the networks and phone
> makers, one's own Python apps cannot be installed onto newer phones such
> as the otherwise tempting Nokia N80 and N90.

I think that does vary by network. It's not possible (AFAIK) to create sis
files from python apps for 3rd edition phones, but if you could, you can
get free 3rd edition signing keys (limited to one IMEI).

Based on the python 3rd edition readme, it does look like you can load
custom python apps onto most phones. Best shout at your network if yours
isn't one of them

> Sources of cheap, Python-ok phones would also be welcome.

Ebay? http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/matrix_s60_1.html will tell you
what version of series 60 a phone runs

Nick