[OSM-talk] SVG to PNG without burning lots of memory

Tommy Persson tpe at ida.liu.se
Mon Jul 24 20:53:04 BST 2006

Raphael Jacquot <sxpert at esitcom.org> writes:

> > It seems that software authors have forgotten the concept of efficient
> > coding these days. If I had the time, I'd sit down and write an
> > efficient SVG renderer. Sadly, I haven't the time.
> >

> doesn't rsvg-convert do what you need ?

I have also been suprised by the slowness of the tools.  I have a map
with roads in Linköping Sweden and the svg-file is 2M and and it takes
7 seconds to transform to png using rsvg-convert which I think is to
much.  And in Firefox I run out of memory I think.  So is svg not
intended to be used for maps in web pages?  inkscape takes about 10
second to start but gives reasonable performance zooming and moving
around.

--
/Tommy Persson