[OSM-talk] planet.osm powered "where am I"

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Wed Jul 26 14:18:31 BST 2006

> I can also think of a very good use for this. Feed a script a GPX file, and
> it can traverse along the GPX file, and work out if it's on known territory
> or not, and if you turn off onto 'uncharted' territory, it could start
> building a set of nodes and segments until it meets up with charted
> territory again. That way, you wouldn't get the mass duplication that
> happens in JOSM if someone absent-mindedly converts a tracklog to the data
> layer and uploads without first checking to see what's in that area
> already.

I started this feature in osm-filter.pl
just use:
       osm-filter.pl file.gpx     --check_against_osm
it tests against the latest planet.osm and outputs only the trackpoints which
are not near (5m-20m depending in DOP) an existing OSM-Segment.
I'll implement more similar functions as soon as I have time to code more in
this script.

But as already told. Any coding help for osm-filter is welcome.

-

Joerg