[OSM-talk] Re: privacy policy

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Thu Jul 27 15:22:15 BST 2006

On 27/07/06, Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de> wrote:

> I like to have the possibility to edit data without to have to create an
> account first. I don't care whether the IP address is used in this case
> (as wikipedia does) or not.

The main issue I have with this is that it leaves the wiki wide-open
to spammers, unless other means are used to protect it. Wikimedia
doesn't seem to have much anti-spam protection, presumably because
Wikipedia relies primarily on humans to remove spam. That works if you
have a very large number of people viewing the wiki, but if you don't,
the spam can soon overload the people trying to keep it down.

Requiring log-ins doesn't eliminate spam, but it does help to keep it down.

Russ