[OSM-talk] Re: privacy policy

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 16:16:33 BST 2006

On 7/27/06, Martyn Welch <martyn at welchs.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 July 2006 13:11, Immanuel Scholz wrote:
> > Other than wikipedia, OSM does not allow the edit without a login
> > (anonymous).
> >
> > I like to have the possibility to edit data without to have to create an
> > account first. I don't care whether the IP address is used in this case
> > (as wikipedia does) or not.
>
> I *really* don't think that this is a good idea and am supprised that it works
> so well for wikipedia.

Well this is the point is it does work for Wikipedia, and your
problems can be used against OSM even with the current model with
email accounts. If they were used in that way, FUD would be it's name.

> Can you provide more reasons as to why anonymous write access would be good?

1. easy for user
2. easy for dev (e.g. 3rd party web interfaces)
3. same level of security, with less hassel.