[OSM-talk] Anonymous login, yet again- was privacy policy

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 09:05:49 BST 2006

Nice summary David and I broadly agree with your opinion.

On the final point about permitting some anonymous edits I think this could
work. If anonymous edits were restricted to a special set of tags then those
tags could be available to editors for use in making corrections and to
users to see alternatives and suggested changes which have not gone live
yet. I've spotted this type of approach elsewhere. On Ancestry.com for
instance there is the ability to tag a poor census transcription with a
comment as to what you believe the transcription should read. These comments
get attached to the data rather than changing the original data entry and
new visitors can see this alterative information when the visit the same
census page and use it as they see fit. The same sort of approach could be
made with OSM. An anonymous user would be able to offer new or different
spelling for a road name for instance but this information would be attached
to the element in question rather than superseding the "name" tag. A logged
in editor could then make the correction or add the name if its verifiable.

We were discussing on irc last night how we can maintain confidence in the
validity of data in OSM. This might come by weighting data with confidence
statistics. User edits (both logged and anonymous) could plan an important
role in helping give the project continued confidence in the validity of
data.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson