[OSM-talk] osmeditor2 update / OSMBrowser

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sat Jul 29 21:40:56 BST 2006

Latest SVN update to osmeditor2 now includes a search box (UK only at the
moment) - also the speed issues with tiled download have been tackled to some
degree.

Windows executable version should appear soon at
http://www.free-map.org.uk/downloads/osmeditor2-win.zip, but I'm having
slightly strange problems with upload (not download) on my broadband
connection at the moment -- the file is 5MB so not exactly huge for
broadband, but the rate of transfer seems to go down and down until it
eventually stops.

On a slightly different slant, I'm finding that using osmeditor2 in tiled
retrieval mode is a useful way of just browsing OSM data in my local area,
keeping tabs on how the Southampton area is showing up. Not sure what others'
opinions are, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to transform
osmeditor2 into a combined OSM browsing/editing application, taking advantage
of the fact that a standalone application of this sort can do things not
possible with a web browser, such as communication with a GPS. One thing it
could do is work off both the OSM server or planet.osm, depending on people's
preferences. Any thoughts?

Nick