[OSM-talk] Re: privacy policy

Dean Earley dean at earlsoft.co.uk
Sun Jul 30 18:40:08 BST 2006

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> On Thursday 27 Jul 2006 18:34, Etienne wrote:
>
>>If we were to allow anonymous/casual users to add street names then it
>>would be OK, but only if we had some other controls in place.
>>
>>Possible controls include:
>>- If a user adds a street name then the possibility to tag it with "I know
>>the name because I live/work near here".  Any IP address (or registered
>>account) that tags more than 20 street names this way would be suspect.
>
> It is possible to tag large numbers of street names just because one remembers
> these things though. I've probably added 100 or so street names in the
> Southampton area and beyond, simply because I tend to remember such things.
> e.g. on Tuesday I walked north out of Lymington Town station and noted the
> road was Waterloo Road. I just remembered that name, so I tagged it.

I do something similar but use AutoRoute (in my car) to "remember" the
names.
When I notice the name change either on the map or reality, I confirm
that they both match.
If I am in anyway unsure, I don't tag it and leave it till next time.

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean at earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk