[OSM-talk] Aussie tagging

Dean Earley dean at earlsoft.co.uk
Sun Jul 30 21:57:52 BST 2006

Etienne wrote:
> On 7/30/06, *Dean Earley* <dean at earlsoft.co.uk
> <mailto:dean at earlsoft.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>      > p.s. presumably having a set of map features for each country
>     means that we
>      > automatically get the localised colour schemes by using (e.g.)
>     rue=autoroute
>      > in one area and highway=motorway in another
>
>     As I've stated before, I think this is a VERY bad idea as it means that
>     EVERY renderer/processor needs to know about EVERY language to use the
>     data sensibly and uniformly.
>     This is a LOT of duplicated data.
>

> Which is exactly why renderers are configurable.
>
> A tagging scheme that is suitable for the UK is totally inappropriate
> for other countries.  Unless the whole world is going to be mapped by
> people from here then we had better start making it easier for people
> with different native languages, different systems of road
> classification and different cultures to tag their own areas their own way.

Then IMO, this should be down to the i18n in the UI.
There are only a few core road types. I can't see there being more than
5 or 6, is it worth, for each country, listing the road types in
priority order?
At least this will give us an idea of what is needed.

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean at earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk