[OSM-talk] How do I tag this road in OSM

Christoph Burghardt Christoph.Burghardt at uni-rostock.de
Mon Jul 31 11:24:53 BST 2006

What is the gain of doing this instead of just tagging the segments
indivually?

Can someone please come up with a good definition of what a way is in osm?
What are they good for? Are ways used in any calculation? Ways can have
nothing in common despite being a collection from segments. I can
think of ways, where these segments even doesn't have to be connected.

Until now the only use for ways is to group together the individual
segments. But after creating a way in JOSM - my favorite editor at the
moment - it's not possible to add information to the segments anymore
without deleting and recreating the way.

--

Christoph Burghardt