[OSM-talk] ways and the java applet

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Thu Jun 1 13:42:10 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 19:19 -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:08:20AM +0200, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying out the new "ways" functionality in the java applet.
> > After I have added a large number of line segments to a way,
> > perhaps 20 km or so (100 or 200 segments?), it suddenly becomes
> > impossible to add more segments.  Is there some maximum length of
> > API calls?
> >
> > >From the java applet I cannot see the ID number for this way, but
> > the java console tells me this is <way id='1630601'>, and that it
> > has 151 line segments after which it ends like this:
> >
> >     <seg id='58749' />
> >     <seg id='58750' />
> >     <seg id='58751' />
> >     <seg id='587' />
> >     <tag k='name' v='Riksväg 32' />
> >     <tag k='class' v='primary' />
> >   </way>
> > </osm>
> >
> > The last '587' indeed looks as if something was truncated on the
> > byte level.  That's really not a "graceful degradation".
>
> Huh. that explains one of the problems I'm having with the OSM dump:
> there is a "Federal Highway" in Australia that was linked to segment
> id="70" -- but the other segments were in the 70,000s, so this seems
> like it could definitely be the problem. (The way in question has been
> changed now, so it no longer demonstrates the problem.)

That would probably be mine. I loaded a single long gpx covering maybe
300 km along a motorway (Canberra to Sydney). JOSM let me load it as raw
data and upload the lot, but I couldn't get it to become a way. This was
a few months ago and I can't remember what the behaviour was, but I am
sure I assumed it was because of the relatively large number of segments
I was trying to make a way from.  I gave up and decided to collect more
data while the tools, tagging schema, and so on stabilise.