[OSM-talk] Mapchester - continuation of work

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 22:06:43 BST 2006

On 6/7/06, Oliver White <streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 12:59, Dan Karran wrote:
> > It would be interesting to see a rough comparison of the amount it
> > costs for an organisation to go out and map an area with their own
> > equipment, contributing it to OSM, compared to the cost of licensing
> > OS data for the same area. Does anyone have any sort of figures like
> > that available?
>
> It would be interesting to find out what cost (b) is -- I reckon someone
> should find out the price of buying OS vector map data for release as
> copyleft, just for the amusement value...
>
> From what little I know of their licensing, you'd have to take the cost per
> square km, multiply that by the area you want (or 240000 for the UK), and
> multiply the result by the number of people in the world (permitted users),
> and by the number of computers on the internet (permitted terminals) to get a
> cost per year.
>
> I know half the OS staff read this list, so you're welcome to correct me ;-)

Licensing in Sweden aren't that bad, you pay 5€ per km^2[1] to "own"
that map. To reproduce it you will need a License, it is obtained at
300€ and is valid until 2010 for use on the net.

The following variables exists:
1. screen size/resolution
2. amount of years you want to
3. publication on the net
4. Academia

In Swedish:
http://www.lantmateriet.se/medgivande/start.htm

[1] This is a map that is about the same as OSM, it includes built up
areas but the street map is about the same.