[OSM-talk] Errors on the API

Gabriel Ebner ge at gabrielebner.at
Wed Jun 7 22:11:57 BST 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:27:49PM +0200, Dan Karran wrote:
> >I seem generally to be ok with smaller area calls. These don't get 400's.
> >Tho I still get some 500's even then.
>
> Ah yes, I am able to get little villages now. I'd tried smaller areas
> than normal, but hadn't tried such a small area as I'm working with
> now.

After reading the source, it looks like the server responds with 400 if the
requested area is bigger than 0.014 square degrees: map.rb, line 24-25:

 if bllat > trlat || bllon > trlon  ||  ( (trlon - bllon) * (trlat - bllat) ) > (0.0035 * 4)
   exit BAD_REQUEST

The area condition is actually commented in svn, but I believe it got
reenabled in order to reduce server load.

  Gabriel.