[OSM-talk] colour fills in osmarender

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Fri Jun 9 11:56:05 BST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 10:46, Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
> Etienne wrote:
> > Are loops and branches in ways a good thing or a bad thing?   I can
> > imagine that route planning applications might find them problematic,
> >
> > Etienne
>
> I believe we shouldn't have loops of any sort.
> routing algorithms like to have straight simple topologies. loops add a
> huge level of complexity that I don't think is necessary

I'm sure routing algorithms love simple topologies, but unfortunately it
appears road planners around the globe tend to have other ideas.

Lancaster (UK) is on the A6, it runs through the city. Lancaster also has a
one-way system around it, this forms part of the A6. How do you model this
without a loop?

Similarly, large round-a-bouts. They need to be drawn to render well on a map,
though they *are* a loop, with specific directional constraits.

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (martyn at welchs.me.uk)

PGP Key : http://www.welchs.me.uk/martyn/pgpkey/