[OSM-talk] colour fills in osmarender

Fri Jun 9 14:59:52 BST 2006

Andy wrote:

> I don't like the fact that I create tree-like ways either. The problem is
> that the trees often have short splitting branches at the ends representing
> the little turnouts you find in the real world. Creating one of these extra
> bits as a separate way for each branch that splits is cumbersome.

I agree, but that's a UI problem, rather than a data model issue.
Editor software should ideally have an 'reapply last set of
keys/values' control, so you could instantly create another way with
the same set of attributes as the last one.

> Another problem I come up against is the run into and out of roundabouts.
> Nowadays many of our bigger roundabouts have a divided section of normally
> single carriageway road (separated by an island) on the run in to a
> roundabout.

Hm, yes. I was wondering about these when doing the Worcester ring
road. My personal conclusion was that if we don't do them for islands
in the middle of the road at (say) a pedestrian crossing, we shouldn't
do them for roundabouts, either.

> So I guess my thinking leads me to two separate options. Either I need a
> separate receptacle that carries a collection of elements with the same
> attributes which is not a "way" (or I use a way anyway as I do now) or for
> anything to do with routing and path analysis I ignore any non-linear ways
> and use the underlying node and segment data instead?

Option 3. You decide to do everything through individual ways, and
smile sweetly at Imi (and other editor authors) asking him to include
a "reapply same tags" feature.

cheers
Richard