[OSM-talk] colour fills in osmarender

Fri Jun 9 16:31:51 BST 2006

Andy wrote:

> Totally agree Richard, at its simplest, a way is currently defined as:
>
> "A way is a list of line segments that describe a street, or similar. The
> way can be in any form, and segments can be members of lots of ways."
>
> It was always intended was it not that what we developed as a "way" was just
> a collection of segments. Nothing more implied. So at the moment thus they
> can be used for whatever you like and a route on the national cycle network
> is just as valid as the segments making up a street or the route taken by
> the number 69 bus.

In that case, I think you and I have very different ideas about what a way is!

I had always envisaged that a segment should be a member of only one
way. If, in the real world, the road in question had multiple
functions (e.g. A44, NCN route 5, Oxford Road, a footpath) then that
would be done with one way with four key/value pairs, rather than four
ways each with one key/value.

On a bit of searching through the Wiki I now find the page you're
quoting from. Is this gospel or is it still open for debate?

cheers
Richard