[OSM-talk] Mountain names - an interesting copyright issue

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Wed Jun 28 09:01:02 BST 2006

> A visit to the library or other reference to an historic out-of-copyright
> map would deal with this issue and for other long standing POI'S.

I'd imagine that getting evidence from someone else on their names would count
too. For instance, if I asked the uk.rec.walking newsgroup (full of people
who climb mountains on a regular basis) what the names of said peaks were
(having described the peaks by approximate location) that would provide
evidence of the name which did not arise from a copyrighted map.

Nick