[OSM-talk] Rights of Way

Wed Jun 28 14:42:07 BST 2006

Nick W wrote:

> Copying the route from an OS or other copyrighted map is a definite no-no.
> I am not sure of the copyright status of the Definitive Maps of the County
> Council, which you can look at by going to the council offices at the
> county capital.

Derived work from the Ordnance Survey. :(

http://enquire.hertscc.gov.uk/ROWGuide/GoodPrac/Sec42.htm

I _suspect_ (IAstillNAL) that you could make a case that the
non-OS-created content could be extracted without infringing on OS's
copyright. In other words, if you have a Definitive Map which includes
a footpath going from one corner of a field to the next, and the next,
you might be able to get away with saying "this footpath goes from
this corner, to this corner, to this corner". The act of creativity in
defining the footpath is (c) the County Council, not the OS, which has
simply provided the base on which to draw it.

But then, you'd still be lumbered with something that's (c)
Borsetshire County Council, so you're simply swapping one form of
Crown Copyright for another.

I wonder whether a host of inaccurate OSM-derived "rights of way", and
the consequent outcry from landowners when a thousand ramblers go
trampling over their crops, could perhaps force a future Government to
rethink this approach. ;)

Richard