[OSM-talk] Some question about OSM

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Fri Jun 30 09:51:48 BST 2006

I'm writing a qt4-based OSM client in order to render maps and doing route
planning with speech instructions (festival). It has some basic editing
capabilities too.  Depending on my free time, when the code will be cleaned
and optimized, i'll release it under gpl.
While approaching i collected some technical questions for you:

*) wiki says a segment could belong to several ways, is there a specific
reason for that?

*) osmplanet data seems to contains some dirty informations, tests, orphaned
objects and so on... is it normal?

*) wath's the best approach to do street and place names rendering?
disposition of text will be evaluated by software in real-time? will be some
key/value helping rendering software ? (for example, a tag could say render
this town names at x,y, or <important> do not render it when scale > z and so
on)

*) my route planning code actually works on every raw segment/node, is this
right? should it run only on "junction" nodes? should the software use the
first option and take help from the second when available? this questions due
to lack of junctions tagging in data , i think routeplanning helpers should
be strong formalized, in order to modify editors and avoid huge maps
reediting

*) do you think distibuting (with zone delegation ala DNS) database may be an
idea (with rest api modifications) ?

*) a stupid question, some segments have k="highway" v="primary", and others
k="class" v="primary"... is it normal?

Thank you

	Niko